Thursday, January 22, 2009

First Day of Substituting...

Thursday, January 15 2009 marked my first day as a substitute teacher. I got the call at 6:32 am and was feeling unamused that my phone was ringing at such a ridiculous time of the day. I'm not a morning person.... to say the least. The coordinator proceeded to inform me that I would be filling in for an art teacher that day. ?!?! Uh oh. I could probably be the least artistically inclined person in the world, other than my mother. We have some pretty crazy looking arts and crafts that we created during our mother-daughter Girl Scout years. However, the coordinator assured me that it would be a simple day and there was really no need to be proficient in art.

Why did I not think to ever take a Spanish class in high school or college?! Here I am, subbing in a district that consists of 40 percent Hispanics. While I was teaching art (er, putting on a video...) to the kindergarten class, a sweet little girl raised her hand. What did she want?! Beats me! The only Spanish I've ever needed was, "Uno mas cerveza!" I had the poor child repeat herself 3 more times, thinking maybe she was speaking English and my hearing had gone bad. She finally gave up hope and flagged down another Hispanic student who gave me a "you dummy" look and said, "She has to use the bathroom". All she had to do was the pee dance.... it's universal.

As it turns out, I only had to teach 3 classes that day. I actually had more time to prep for what I was going to teach than the amount of time that I spent teaching. Needless to say, I will definitely be subbing for any art teacher in the future.... regardless of my lacking art skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment